July 22, 2009

Wednesday Outings To Places beginning with 'W'

Today, we lost an arty farty (due to unforeseen job circumstances) so.. The three artyfartys ventured on. We went to both Walsall and Wolverhampton Art Gallery in one day.

Walsall


Walsall was rubbish, given that we had missed the exhibition of any interest. But I saw a few good pieces which gave me ideas about starting to record ways of conveying my perception ideas.

Some photographs were displayed that had been taken by students who attended workshops with Sima Gonsai. The workshops enabled students to explore ideas of travelling, collecting and the personal ideas we attach to objects.
The pictures gave me ideas how I could begin to try and get my head around my ideas.

And I may have just acquired a Polaroid camera...




Wolverhampton

I feel like I achieved more here than I did at Walsall. 'Work on Paper' was an excellent exhibition. It really made me look and explore ideas in my head. The 'works' included photographs, paintings, etchings, prints and sculptures. It made me realise all the uses of one item. Which then obviously got my mind all muddled up with the "real" paper uses and why I "perceive" these everyday uses, of course. The pictures below are some of the pieces that I viewed and were of immediate interest to me.







The Artist: Ruth Claxton

When I first noticed these postcards, I was intrigued as to why a woman had what looked like octopus legs protruding from her eyes. But when I looked closer, I saw that the postcard had been delicately and carefully cut by the artist.

My immediate reaction was how weird the image was.
The way that the woman's eyes were cut which disfigured her face was quite strange. I wondered how I knew this was strange, and not a how a 'normal' postcard should look.





The Artist: Lucinda Chua
Website: http://www.lucindachua.co.uk/


This 'double portrait' inspired me due to the aspects of drama involved. As the exhibition guide states; "Lucinda Chua creates a heightened sense of drama in each carefully constructed environment."



The Artist: The Jackson Twins
Website: http://www.thejacksontwins.com/
As in the previous image, I enjoyed the aspects of drama involved within one single image. As the exhibition guide explains; "The Jackson Twins offer both humour and drama to create visually intriguing and exciting scenes."
This is correct. The image does intrigue and inspire me.

0 comments: