July 03, 2009

Perception.

I've been reading quite a lot. After polishing up on what semiotics and reality meant, I want to progress. I'm thinking specifically about perceptions, and although something could seem 'real' to you, everyone has different impression. I want to look at different kinds of perception. A quick google search threw up lots of types of perception, for instance;

Amodal perception
Color perception
Depth perception
Form perception
Haptic perception
Speech perception
Perception as Interpretation
Numeric Value of Perception
Pitch perception
Harmonic perception
Rhythmic perception

They mean nothing right now, but I want to read up and get a basic idea of all the elements that are used to fuel our perceptions and impressions of items. The eye, I feel, is an excellent place to start.
I have a reading list I'm going to tackle once they arrive from Amazon;

  • Trust The Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go - Shaun McNiff
  • Interaction of Colour - J Albers
  • Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye - R Arnheim

As I said, the eye is a great place to start I think...

0 comments: