July 20, 2009

Patrick Hughes

I saw a Patrick Hughes exhibition in my first year, and have the exhibition guide and brochure, but didn't realise until about five minutes ago, that it may relate to my 'perception' ideas...

"Thus, paintings in perspective provide an allusion to a depth not contained in their flatness-they are seen as both flat and extended in space. What would happen if a painting was produced as if it was flat but the physical surface on which it was painted was not? One of us (Patrick Hughes) has explored this possibility in works that are painted on protruding planes (like truncated pyramids and wedges) so that the parts that are physically close to the observer are pictorially distant. That is, the lines that would converge on a flat picture plane to allude to distant objects are physically closer in these works (see O’Riley 1996; Slyce 1998). They appear as flat paintings until the observer moves whereupon they undergo a plastic motion that is beguiling."

(Thats from here; http://www.patrickhughes.co.uk/papers/wade_hughes_perception28.htm)

It moves into quite difficult ideas about the images the retina sees meaning the brain cannot process flat pictures etc. But I think I have the beginnings of an idea.

As mentioned earlier, I want to encorporate 'The Uncanny' and it quite inspired me.
...I'm thinking of making something that people instantly percieve as relatively 'normal', then when looking closer, they see that the 'something' is actually quite uncanny, and familiar yet unfamiliar. Dreams feature in my idea too. But I'm not entirely sure where I'm going and if it is any good yet...

0 comments: